Hi Paul,

Paul Smith wrote:

> I’ve converted an analysis program that does some plotting to use the
> matplotlib API, then wrote a GUI control program using wxWidgets to
> call it. I’ve tried to keep the two parts as separate as possible so
> there is an analysis class that is instantiated in the GUI part, and
> then the GUI part just calls the analysis methods.
>
> Ok, so under ipython -pylab everything seems to (mostly) go ok. The
> GUI comes up, data gets loaded into the analysis object, processed and
> plotted in a couple of separate matplotlib windows (ie. ones that are
> not specifically part of the GUI), and results come back to update
> some wx textctrl fields on the GUI. I qualify this as mostly ok
> because if I use the TkAgg backend for the plotting, which is done by
> the analysis class, the whole lot crashes to non-existence as soon as
> either plot window is moved (yep, this is Windows). If I use the wxAgg
> backend, however, it seems to play nice(r).

I think this is due to using TkAgg with wxPython, IIRC TK and WX don't
"like" to work together, I think there is some conflict but don't
remember the details.

> The problem is when all this is done outside of ipython – ie. running
> from the command line ala “python myAnalysisUI.py” - the matplotlib
> figures come up when required but text fields are no longer updated in
> the GUI once plotting is done. The GUI is still responsive to clicks
> on buttons etc, but it’s as if the final bit after plotting gets blocked.
>
> This makes me wonder about a couple of things. How well do essentially
> independent matplotlib windows work with a wx App?

What do you call an independent window? Is this a wx.Frame which shows
the matplotlib plots?

Do have a smallish sample which shows the problem?

> The other vitals are: OS: WinXP, Python 2.5, matplotlib 0.90.1,
> wxPython 2.8.0.1, ipython 0.8.2

I have just about the same, WinXP / Vista, Python 2.5.1, matplotlib
0.90.1 wxPython 2.8.4.0 (but have used older versions too).

Werner