Mark Bakker wrote:
> Viraj and Jeff -
>
> Maybe one extension of Jeff's answer.
> The process works as long as x, y, and z are 2D arrays of the same
> size and shape.
> Hence, x and y don't have to form a rectangular grid.
> I have used this feature regularly for conformal mapping.
> And it makes a lot of sense.
> The contour routine simply looks for intersections between x and y values.
> Then when it plots it uses the x and y values in the arrays.
> So when those are not a rectangular grid, it doesn't care.
> It's a cool feature.
> I can give an example if you want,
>
> Mark
>

>     Viraj Vajratkar wrote:
>     > hey guys... i got it... u can use contour(x,y,z)... as in
>     > x=load('urfile1.dat'), y=load('urfile2.dat), z=load('urfile3.dat
>     > ').... and then type out the above.... for details about the
>     > parameters x,y,z see... .
>     > http://www.scilab.org/product/man-eng/graphics/contour.htm .... so
>     > matplotlib CAN plot a contour from discrete points!!!.... ive
>     tried it
>     > and it works...
>     Viraj:  That only works because x and y describe a rectangular
>     grid.  If
>     x and y described irregularly spaced points, you would need to
>     grid the
>     data first using one of the methods described on that Cookbook page.
>
>     -Jeff

Mark:  That is cool - didn't know it could do that.  So I guess the
proper answer is contour requires x and y to describe a *regular*, but
not recessarily rectilinear, grid.  I should have known, since there is
an example in basemap (ccsm_popgrid.py) that illustrates this.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/PSD1        FAX   : (303)497-6449