I recently ran into a similar problem myself building stuff from source,
but I'm not sure of the specifics with SuSE and their packages etc.

Python can be configured in two ways -- with two-byte (UCS2) or
four-byte (UCS4) Unicode characters.  Apparently the default for a
source installation of Python is UCS2, but many (most) Linux
distributions build it for UCS4.  Python extensions built for one
configuration can not be used with a Python built for the other
configuration.

When Python extensions are built, if all goes well, they will match the
configuration of the Python interpreter.  It looks like somehow you have
a mismatch between matplotlib and your Python interpreter.

If you installed everything from packages, I would expect them all to
match (unless SuSE's quality control has really gone down as of late
;).  Perhaps something is still around from when you built things from
source.  Did you at any point build your own Python?

On a number of Linux distributions (probably including SuSE, but I don't
know for sure), things installed from source are under the /usr/local
tree.  To diagnose this, you could see if anything is getting pulled in
from there (rather than from the packaged stuff, which wouldn't be under
/usr/local).  For instance "whereis python", will tell you which python
is being used.  When you import a Python module, you can use __file__ to
see where it was imported from.  For example:

 >>>  import pylab
 >>>  pylab.__file__

Hope that at least offers some next steps for tracking this down.

Cheers,
Mike