I usually use the following to make single arrows:

plot([0,1], 'k.')
arr1 = pylab.Arrow(0.5, 0.5, 0.1, 0.0, width=0.02)
fig = pylab.gca()
fig.add_patch(arr1)

If in "ipython -pylab" you need to savefig or send another command (e.g. xlabel) or reload/refresh the plot (I can't remember the command) for the new patch to display. I use this rather than arrow() because I can control the arrow width and other properties. There is also the quiver command which lets you draw many arrows:

quiver([[0, 1, 2]], [[0, 1, 2]], [[0.0, 0.0, 0.0]], [[0.1, 0.1, 0.1]], 0.2)

Cheers,
Jessica