Hi all,
Here a quick update:
I'm trying to have a concise / sparse module with containing only
pylab-specific names and not all names I already have in numpy.
To easy typing I want to call numpy "N" and my pylab "P".

I'm now using this code:
<code snipplet for importing matplotlib>
    import matplotlib, new
    matplotlib.use('WXAgg')
    from  matplotlib import pylab
    P = new.module("pylab_sparse","""pylab module minus stuff alreay
in numpy""")
    for k,v in pylab.__dict__.iteritems():
        try:
           if v is N.__dict__[k]:
               continue
        except KeyError:
           pass
        P.__dict__[k] = v

    P.ion()
    del matplotlib, new, pylab
</code sniplet for importing matplotlib>

The result is "some" reduction in the number of non-pylab-specific
names in my "P"-module. However there seem to be still many extra
names left, like e.g.:
alltrue, amax, array, ...
look at this:
    # 20070802
    # >>> len(dir(pylab))
    # 441
    # >>> len(dir(P))
    # 346
    # >>> P.nx.numpy.__version__
    # '1.0.1'
    # >>> N.__version__
    # '1.0.1'
    # >>> N.alltrue
    # <function alltrue at 0x01471B70>
    # >>> P.alltrue
    # <function alltrue at 0x019142F0>
    # >>> N.alltrue.__doc__
    # 'Perform a logical_and over the given axis.'
    # >>> P.alltrue.__doc__
    # >>> #N.alltrue(x, axis=None, out=None)
    # >>> #P.alltrue(x, axis=0)

I'm using matplotlib with
__version__  = '0.90.0'
__revision__ = '$Revision: 3003 $'
__date__     = '$Date: 2007-02-06 22:24:06 -0500 (Tue, 06 Feb 2007) $'

Any hint how to further reduce the number of names in "P" ?
My ideal would be that the "P" module (short for pylab) would only
contain the stuff described in the __doc__ strings of `pylab.py` and
`__init__.py`(in matplotlib)  (+ plus some extra, undocumented, yet
pylab specific things)

Thanks
-Sebastian