Peter Würtz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry this might look like a really stupid question, but I have not been
> able to find an answer in the matplotlib documentation...

Not a stupid question at all--it is more of a feature request.

> When plotting data points using the "o"-style, some points are truncated
> by the axis borders. Is there a way to define some kind of margin
> without changing the x/y range manually?
No, this is something we probably should add.  There are other cases
also where one wants a margin by default.

> So far, I did some kind of workaround:
> (xmin,xmax) = p.xlim()
> xw = xmax - xmin
> p.xlim(xmin - xw*0.05, xmax + xw*0.05)
>
> Is there a better way than this?
No, it looks to me like you have found a reasonable workaround.  One
could also put this functionality into a custom Locator class, but that
is more complicated.

Eric