Tom Johnson wrote:
> How can I keep a 1:1 aspect ratio after adding a colorbar?

After adding the colorbar, try

axis('scaled')
or
axis('image')
or
axis('equal')

Or for full control use the set_aspect() method of the Axes object for
your plot.  There is also an axis() method corresponding to the pylab
axis() function if you are using an OO style.

help(axis) will explain the various axis() options.

Eric