Thanks Eric.

However, when I specify the same number of levels as suggested, contourf
divides this example into three regions, with a diagonal 'stripe' instead of a
clean boundary, so I guess I'm asking whether it's possible to trick contourf
into generating a single boundary between the two regions such that it matches
that found by contour?

For the moment, a suitable workaround seems to be to do

contourf(a,1,colors=('w','k'))

where the background colour is white. This generates what I'm after.

I notice also that linewidths is mentioned in the docstring under Obsolete:,
but it seems to do nothing, so it should probably be removed from the docstring.

thanks again,
Gary