The short answer to your two messages is that pcolor and contour
required gridded data in 2D arrays, and it looks like you are supplying
1D arrays.  Look at the differences between what you have below and what
is in the pcolor_demo that you started with.  Meshgrid is generating 2D
arrays for X and Y so that Z is also 2D.  There are other ways of doing
it, and for a Cartesian grid, X and Y don't actually have to be
2D--although I find that there is now a bug in svn such that 1D x and y
don't work.  I will fix that.  But in any case, Z *must* be a 2D array.

If the data you really want to plot are not already on a grid, then you
will need to use a gridding routine, which is not included in mpl.

Eric