On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Angus McMorland wrote:

> For parsimony, I think you're probably best off just using the
> Gaussian equation:
>
> def fwhm2k(fwhm):
>    '''converts fwhm value to k (see above)'''
>    return fwhm/(2 * n.sqrt( n.log( 2 ) ) )
>
> def gauss1d(r, fwhm, c):
>    '''returns the 1d gaussian given by fwhm (full-width at half-max),
>    and c (centre) at positions given by r
>    '''
>    return exp( -(r-c)**2 / fwhm2k( fwhm )**2 )

   Thank you, Angus. I'll look at the Gaussian explanation to understand the
input values.

> The midpoint here is c.

   OK.

> It's not clear what you mean by endpoints - if you mean you want to be
> able to specify the y value at a given x delta-x away from c, then it
> should be relatively simple to solve the equation to find the required
> full-width at half-max to achieve these end-points. After a very quick
> look (i.e. definitely needs verification), I think

   What I mean is the x value where the tails of the curve have y == 0.0.
These curves are defined by the range of x over which they are valid, and
assume the midpoint is where y == 1.0 (the maximum value). The inflection
points are at y = 0.5; in rare situations that may change.

> I hope that's what you're after.

   I'll look at it in detail tomorrow (my time) and the weekend. I, too, hope
that it's what I need.

Much appreciated,

Rich