Can you set "verbose.level" to "debug-annoying" in your matplotlibrc and
send us the output?  That may help provide an explanation as to why the
text is not appearing.  Also, for good measure, can you provide your
matplotlibrc file, and information about the platform and versions of
Python that you are using?  Do you get different results when you run at
the commandline vs. from an http request?  It could be that incorrect
permissions (as user "apache", for instance) are causing the problems.

Cheers,
Mike

Tim Lewis wrote:
> I'm using the code from
> http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/Using_MatPlotLib_in_a_CGI_script
> to generate plots from my web server.  The plot shows up fine (w/o text)
> but when I use xlabel("x-axis"), ylabel("y-axis"), or title("A Chart");
> no text shows up on the plot.  Everything seems fine with the install
> and I don't get any errors when I run the script.  It seems that that
> matplotlib is unable to find the font's and just simply ignores them --
> I really dunno.
>
> Any suggestions?

> just about anything Open Source.

Michael Droettboom