Matplotlib users, I looking to tap your wealth of ideas and experience
to help solve a problem I'm working on.

The problem: I have a series of 2d scalar arrays representing a fixed
width/height lon/lat box centered on an arbitrary lon/lat. I need to
average these composites on a common basis that accommodates the scale
changes due to latitude, preferably by shifting everything to a common
central lon/lat (a polar/radial distance basis would work too). I want
a plot of the end result too and I'm like to do everything with
matplotlib and python so that it folds into the rest of my program.

Something similar can be seen at
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~robwood/topic_cyclones.htm

I've been looking at transform_scalar from basemap but I'm not quite
sure this is what I should use.

If anyone can offer a solution, a point in the right direction, or
just wave me off this path I'd be most appreciative.

Mike