I'm trying to build some matplotlib eggs to bundle
and distribute with some other python packages. So, I am doing
my best to statically link to libraries like libpng, libfreetype, etc.
that users may not have installed. I am building using the following:

python setupegg.py config -L../staticlibs build bdist_egg

where ../staticlibs contains the libraries that I am statically
linking. Unfortunately, users are still getting errors such as the following:

ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/
matplotlib-0.98pre-py2.5-macosx-10.5-i386.egg/matplotlib/_path.so, 2):
Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libpng12.0.dylib
 Referenced from: /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/
matplotlib-0.98pre-py2.5-macosx-10.5-i386.egg/matplotlib/_path.so
 Reason: image not found

Anyone have a clue what I am not doing properly?

Thanks,
Chris