> I found this in the online documentation of the pylab.plot() function:
>
> The following line styles are supported:
>
>     -     : solid line
>     --    : dashed line
>     -.    : dash-dot line
>     :     : dotted line
>     .     : points
>     ,     : pixels
>     o     : circle symbols
>     ^     : triangle up symbols
>     v     : triangle down symbols
>     <     : triangle left symbols
>     >     : triangle right symbols
>     s     : square symbols
>     +     : plus symbols
>     x     : cross symbols
>     D     : diamond symbols
>     d     : thin diamond symbols
>     1     : tripod down symbols
>     2     : tripod up symbols
>     3     : tripod left symbols
>     4     : tripod right symbols
>     h     : hexagon symbols
>     H     : rotated hexagon symbols
>     p     : pentagon symbols
>     |     : vertical line symbols
>     _     : horizontal line symbols
>     steps : use gnuplot style 'steps' # kwarg only
>
> The following color abbreviations are supported
>
>     b  : blue
>     g  : green
>     r  : red
>     c  : cyan
>     m  : magenta
>     y  : yellow
>     k  : black
>     w  : white
>
> In addition, you can specify colors in many weird and
> wonderful ways, including full names 'green', hex strings
> '#008000', RGB or RGBA tuples (0,1,0,1) or grayscale
> intensities as a string '0.8'.  Of these, the string
> specifications can be used in place of a fmt group, but the
> tuple forms can be used only as kwargs.
>
> Line styles and colors are combined in a single format string, as in
> 'bo' for blue circles.
>
> The **kwargs can be used to set line properties (any property that has
> a set_* method).  You can use this to set a line label (for auto
> legends), linewidth, anitialising, marker face color, etc.  Here is an
> example:
>
>     plot <http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/matplotlib.pyplot.html#-plot>
> ([1,2,3], [1,2,3], 'go-', label='line 1', linewidth=2)
>     plot <http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/matplotlib.pyplot.html#-plot>
> ([1,2,3], [1,4,9], 'rs',  label='line 2')
>     axis <http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/matplotlib.pyplot.html#-axis>
> ([0, 4, 0, 10])
>     legend<http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/matplotlib.pyplot.html#-legend>
> ()
>
> HTH,
> -- jv

Thanks for the reply.  Those are the formatting codes one can use by
default.  However, there are only 4 dash types accessible from these codes:
solid, dashed, dash-dot, dotted.  I think there is a way to set arbitrary
dash-dot lines (say, '-..-....-') using the 'setp' command with the 'dashes'
argument.  I just don't know what acceptable parameters for that argument
are.  I'm hoping someone knows.

Thanks,
John