Hello Fernando,

>> <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'module' object has no attribute
>> 'ArrayType'
>>
>> maybe some of the IPython power users can give me a hint why this
>> happes. [1]
>
> Very strange.  I can't reproduce it here (on gutsy, but running
> ipython from my own tree). What's odd is this:
>
> In [1]: import Numeric
>
> In [2]: print Numeric.ArrayType
> <type 'array'>
>

> So Numeric *most definitely* has an ArrayType member. Try doing the
> same as I did, also showing us whether you started ipython with -pylab
> or not.  There may be something odd about your Numeric installation.
> Also do this:
>
> In [3]: Numeric?
> Type:           module
> Base Class:     <type 'module'>
> Namespace:      Interactive
> File:           /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric/Numeric.py
>
> [etc]
>
> It's possible that you have in your path a file called Numeric.py
> which is not the 'real' Numeric module.  This would explain your
> problem and why nobody else sees it.
>
> Cheers,

*** my output ***
$ ipython
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Oct  5 2007, 13:36:32)

?       -> Introduction to IPython's features.
%magic  -> Information about IPython's 'magic' % functions.
help    -> Python's own help system.

In [1]: import Numeric

In [2]: print Numeric.ArrayType
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>        Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/timmie/<ipython console> in <module>()

<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'module' object has no attribute
'ArrayType'

In [3]: Numeric?
Type:           module
Base Class:     <type 'module'>
String Form:    <module 'Numeric' from
'/home/timmie/development/python/modules/modules_library/Numeric/__init__.pyc'>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:
/home/timmie/development/python/modules/modules_library/Numeric/__init__.py
Docstring:
     <no docstring>

In [4]:

*** end code ***

=> You were absolutely right:
I had another Numeric package install in my PYTHONPATH. It overwrode the
system package at:
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric/Numeric.py

I just deleted
/home/timmie/development/python/modules/modules_library/Numeric and now
everything to goes nice. I can use my Ipython again with numerics ;-)
Well, I guess the problem arose from the a time when I didn't have
network access.
I just threw python modules from the net into my PYTHONPATH without
using the Synaptic package manager.

Nice that this is now solved. Thanks for your quick answer and help!

Kind regards,
Timmie