Ryan May wrote:
>> Ryan:  Nothing comes immediately to mind - unless something went wrong
>> with your build.    Could you rebuild basemap and send me the a log of
>> the build off-list?
>>

> Attached.
>
> Ryan

Ryan:  Are you installing from source yourself, or building a patched
version provided the Gentoo packaging system?

I suspect the latter, since I see

 >> Unpacking basemap-0.9.9.tar.gz to
/var/tmp/portage/dev-python/basemap-0.9.9/work
 * Applying basemap-0.9.9-syslib.patch ...

at the beginning of the log.  Then later, the system proj4 lib (in
/usr/lib64) is linked instead of the proj4 included in basemap.  This
won't work, since the version of proj4 that I use includes some patches
not in the released version.  Bottom line - the Gentoo basemap package
is broken.

If you build it manually, outside the Gentoo packaging system, I'm
betting it will work fine.

A Gentoo bug report might be in order, if you feel like submitting one.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449