I have had a similar problem here with python-2.5.1, numpy-1.0.4 and
mpl-0.91.2 all installed on my linux (from scratch) system.  I reported
this last year but ending in a dead end with no one being able to help.
My --verbose-debug_annoying output seemed to indicate it had something
to do with the loading of the fonts, like yours, but that's all the
farther we all got.  My work around was to install the prerequisites for
GtkAgg and go with that.  Everything works fine now using GtkAgg.

I even recently installed ATLAS using lapack so I could install numpy
and scipy with their full functionality and was also successful doing
that.  I'm able to do curve fitting and find roots of polynomials.  So I
believe the TkAgg backend does have some incompatibilities but no one
has a clue as to why.  Otherwise, it's all smooth sailing doing it all
from scratch.

Take Good Care,

Wayne