I'm making some scatter plots which will probably end up getting printed
in black and white. I'm actually drawing two scatter plots onto one
axes. So to the distinguish between the two plots I've had them use
different marker shapes and different shades of grey.

The problem is that the legend displays only a rectangular block
indicating the color for each plot. Is there a way to get the marker
shapes of scatter plots into the legend?

Thanks