Hi Stephane,

[CC'd to the matplotlib-users list in case others will find this
useful.]

> I got the same problem.
> Can you tell me where you specified the -Os option to gcc to escape
> the problem?

So the compile that command that failed is printed right above the
error message it generated. (The long line that starts  with
'gcc' ...). I just copied this command, edited the -O3 to an -Os, and
pasted that command-line back into the terminal. Total low-tech hack,
as I didn't want to much with the setup.py file to fix compile flags
on a per-file basis.

After that file is compiled manually, you can re-run 'python setup.py
build', and it will start up at the next step after the error.

I got the same error in another step, which was a bit trickier to fix,
because for some reason, src/_image.cpp gets copied to src/image.cpp
on a temporary basis, and then compiled. (I presume the file isn't
also modified?) But after the compile errors out, the copy is deleted,
so just pasting in the offending gcc command doesn't work. So I had to
manually copy src/_image.cpp to scr/image.cpp, and then paste in the
modified gcc command.

Ugh! I'd really love some help reducing this to a test case that I can
send to Apple.

Zach

On Mar 13, 2008, at 12:16 PM, Stephane Raynaud wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got the same problem.
> Can you tell me where you specified the -Os option to gcc to escape
> the problem?
>

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 4:35 AM, Zachary Pincus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just tried to compile the SVN head of matplotlib (r4994) from
>> source
>> on OS X 10.5.2 (with source builds of python 2.5.2 and the SVN head
>> of
>> numpy), and ran into an "internal compiler error" in the agg code.
>> (pkgconfig 0.23 and wxPython 2.8.7.1 also present and accounted for.)
>>
>> Here's the compile line and error:
>>> building 'matplotlib.backends._backend_agg' extension
>>> gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-
>>> fused-
>>> madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-
>>> prototypes -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
>>> python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/include -I/usr/X11/include/
>>> libpng12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -
>>> I. -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
>>> python2.5/
>>> site-packages/numpy/core/include -Isrc -Iagg24/include -I. -I/usr/
>>> X11/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11/include -I/usr/local/include -I/
>>> usr/
>>> include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -I/Library/Frameworks/
>>> Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5 -c src/_image.cpp -o
>>> build/temp.macosx-10.4-i386-2.5/src/_image.o
>>> cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid
>>> for C/ObjC but not for C++
>>> src/_image.cpp: In member function 'Py::Object
>>> _image_module::from_images(const Py::Tuple&)':