Dear matplotlib

I have a newbie question (I am new to python, migrating from Matlab). Just
like the subject suggests, I need to display an image X stored in a matrix
(well, a 2D numpy array in fact) versus the coordinates specified by arrays
x and y. Further, it would be nice if mouse position was returned in terms
of those coordinates as well, but that's just for a nicety - I can map it
myself. But main thing is I failed to find the way to get the image
versuscoordinates in imshow() and figimage(). I also failed to find the
answer in this forum.

Hence I ask for any suggestions.