On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Charlie Moad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The internal compiler error is something we are all running into right now.
> The only known fix is to run the build with the gcc flag "-Os" instead of
> "-O3".  You should be able to do this by setting the environment during your
> build:
>
> CFLAGS="-Os" python setup.py build

I don't think he is getting the compiler error, but an architecture
error (ppc vs i386).   Some combination of setting CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
as Charlie points out in his build notes at
http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/MatplotlibOSXBuildNotes may help (but
adding the -Os is probably needed to)

The following is working for me (using the macpython python and the
xcode freetype and libpng):

  500  export CFLAGS='-Os -arch i386 -arch ppc'
  501  export LDFLAGS='-arch i386 -arch ppc'
  506  export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig"
  510  export
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:${PATH}"
  511  rm -rf build
  512  python setup.py build
  513  sudo python setup.py install
  514  python -c 'import matplotlib; print matplotlib.__file__'

You may need to make sure that you freetype and libpng are universal
as well -- if you are using the X11 ones as provided by apple you
should be fine, but if you are building them yourself make sure you
set the arch flags when building them, as Charlie describes in his
build notes.