Paul Smith wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I put in the rc line you suggested below into fonts_demo.py but didn't see it
> print any extra info (but did confirm in ipython that rcParams showed
> verbose.level had changed to "annoying"). It just quietly finished otherwise.
> Did I miss something here?

Does it work if you put this into your matplotlibrc?

  verbose.level: debug-annoying

(Note it's debug-annoying, not simply annoying)
> I've linked the output of fonts_demo.py to;
> https://www.box.net/shared/static/o693hq3soo.png

Hmm.  That font is definitely not Vera Sans.  Something really odd is
going on here.
> If I need to upgrade matplotlib above 0.90.1 I guess I'll have to build it
> separately unfortunately. We're trying to stick to the standard ubuntu
> packages that get pulled in for that release.

I can appreciate that goal -- and AFAIK it does work for other users on Ubuntu
7.10 so there is probably just some configuration problem here that we can
hopefully get to the bottom of.

Do you have any customizations in your matplotlibrc?

Cheers,
Mike

--
Michael Droettboom