I renamed the egg on sf to "matplotlib-0.98.0-py2.5-macosx-10.3.egg".  For
me, setuptools does not try to download the source after installing now.
Unfortunately when I try, "easy_install matplotlib", it still starts
downloading the source instead of the osx binary.  I am not having luck
finding docs on this.
- Charlie