You don't have to do everything that I did, but I have libpng and
whatnot installed in /usr/local for other purposes anyway, and I
didn't have a particular need to build a universal binary version of
matplotlib. Furthermore, using GCC 4.2, while forcing one to get rid
of Wno-long-double (an Apple-only thing anyway, and I think it's bad
practice to include assumption of such options in a Makefile), allowed
me to keep -O3 since it does not have that particular bug. So IF you
want to keep the O3 optimisation, then you should install the 4.2
compiler, make sure it gets used, and eliminate the -Wno-long-double
flag from the Makefile. No other changes necessary relative to the
standard instructions. I've filed a bug report with Apple about the
problem with their GCC 4.0.1 in Xcode 3, and as soon as I can get my
bug reporting ability up and running again (login has been wonky
lately), I'm following up with some additional information they asked
for. I'm sorry if I caused some confusion with my personal
preferences.

Josh