Michael Droettboom wrote:
> As a quick-fix workaround, you can do:
>
> from matplotlib.pyplot import *
> p = scatter([0,1,2,3], [4,5,6,7], c ='k', alpha=0, edgecolor = 'k')
> p._alpha = 1.0
> p.set_edgecolor('k')
> show()
>
> But the deeper question is for the rest of the list is... what's the
> correct behavior?  Should we just revert to what it did in 0.91, or add
> another kwarg to set the edge alpha?

I think 0.91 behavior was odd, if alpha applied only to the fill; making
alpha apply to everything strikes me as a bugfix, not a regression, so I
would not favor reverting to the old behavior.

What is really needed may be some rethinking (or perhaps just
codification) of overall alpha handling throughout mpl, including kwargs
and explicit color specification.  At present it seems rather messy, for
understandable historical reasons, partly owing to backend quirks and
limitations (e.g., no alpha at all in postscript).

If the kwarg strategy is chosen, then everywhere there can be an edge
and a face, we should support "alpha=" to apply to both, "edgealpha="
for the edge alone", and "facealpha=" for the face.  Or something like that.

Eric