On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Michael Hearne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to install matplotlib on a RHEL5 system, and I'm getting errors
> in src/ft2font.h and ft2font.cpp.
>
> An error log from the build command is attached.
>
> I would use an RPM for this platform if I were sure that it would be
> installed in /usr/local/lib...  Is there a way to control where RPM's get
> installed?

Make sure you have pkg-config and freetype2-devel installed (don't
know the exact rpm name, could also be freetype-devel).  You error
message suggests either you don't have the development headers for
freetype installed, and/or pkg-config cannot find them.

Take a look at  the "compiling" and "RPMS" sections of
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/installing.html.  They are a bit out
of date, but they do cover the problem you are having.

JDH