On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Michael Muratet
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am running on a Mac OS X 10.5 system and even though I set the
> CFLAGS and LDFLAGS I can't seem to point the build to the correct tree.
>
> Note: I am a newbie relative to python on a Mac.
>
> Can anyone point out an error I've made or offer troubleshooting
> suggestions?

My OS X build notes are at
http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Py4Science/InstallationOSX and Charlie's
(who does the binary mpl builds) are at
http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/MatplotlibOSXBuildNotes.  From the
output you posted, it looks like it the freetype and png headers are
not found, which means either you haven't installed x-code package,
pkgconfig is not installed or the PKG_CONFIG_PATH is not set.  Also,
the error complains about the architecture ppc not being included in
the libpng build

The following may help prevent the compiler from trying to build/link
the ppc libraries

  CFLAGS="-Os -arch i386" LDFLAGS="-Os -arch i386" python setup.py build

Charlie includes notes on how to properly build universal png and freetype libs.

JDH