Yes, it should be.  I'm further puzzled that removing "del
Gcf.figs[num]" prevents the memory leak.  There is some side effect that
happens when all of the figures have been closed (I think it shuts down
the GUI mainloop), that keeping at least one figure around at all times
avoids.  But I haven't been able to get to the bottom of that, just a
half-supported theory at this point.

Cheers,
Mike