Hi Ian,

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 10:13:02 am Ian Harry wrote:
> Thanks for helping with this problem.
>
> I have investigated further this issue and here is what I have found out:
>
> I have traced the errors themselves back to two functions in texmanager.py
> (matplotlib.texmanager), make_dvi and make_png. Most of the errors seem to
> mention 'Stale NFS file handles' and crop up at a variety of different
> places throughout these functions. I guess this is because on our clusters
> /home/[username] is not a local directory, we have seen issues before with
> other code if a lot of nodes try to access the same directory on the NFS
> file system simultaneously. I tried altering the __init__.py to force the
> code to put the .matplotlib directory on filesystems local to each node.
> Moving the .matplotlib directory to a local drive solves almost all of
> these errors.

I suggest you try backing out those changes you just described, and instead
try setting a MPLCONFIGDIR environment variable to point somewhere on the
local filesystem. If MPLCONFIGDIR is not defined, we use ~/.matplotlib.

> One error that remained was the one about file opening
> fh = file(outfile)
> I added a 'w' to this and this seemed to solve this problem, I also
> commented out some of the verbose generating commands (specifically
> fh.read() was causing a problem (probably expected with 'w')) within these
> functions and the errors go away. I guess 'a' would be better but the
> commands only seem to be called if the file doesn't exist?

Out of curiosity, if you added 'a' instead of 'w', does the error go away?
Either way, please let me know exactly what changes need to be made and I will
commit the changes to svn.

> As we have a lot of users running this code a solution like this is
> unworkable (as a lot of our users are unfamiliar with python/Linux and want
> to run a simple command). Do you have any ideas of how we could solve this
> issue?

Please try the environment variable I mentioned and let me know what happens.

Darren