If you're like me and what you want is just an arrow mark with its
head at (x,y), you may use scatter() with custom verts.

    arrowup_verts = [[0.,0.], [-1., -1], [0.,0.], [0.,-2.],[0.,0.], [1, -1]]
    arrowdown_verts = [[0.,0.], [-1., 1], [0.,0.], [0.,2.],[0.,0.], [1, 1]]

    scatter([1.],[1.], s=100, marker=None,
            verts=arrowup_verts)

    scatter([1],[1.1], s=100, marker=None,
            verts=arrowdown_verts)