Eric and John,

Thanks for the information. You are right that this probably would have been a
premature optimisation, even if it weren't rendered useless by matplotlib
using doubles internally (which I hadn't realised). The thought just occurred
to me as I was writing the data-scaling part of my script.

The script is intended to be somewhat interactive. Initial tests suggest that
plotting or updating several subplots from memory does take a quite
noticeable time (e.g. 1.2 -- 1.5 seconds for 3 subplots of 10000 points) that
will probably become annoying in routine use. As you indicated, basically all
that time is spent within matplotlib. I'm just using standard default calls:

for i in subplot
    subplot
    plot
    xlabel
    ylabel
    title

Each of these calls seems to take roughly the same time (60--100ms). If
anybody has pointers on speeding things up significantly, I'm all ears.
(Predefining data limits? Using lower-level commands? Use of a non-default
backend?)

Boris