I'm not sure if this is a matplotlib issue or what, but all of a sudden I
was not able to do gca() or gcf() correctly.

A simple command-line on pyshell (using wxAgg backend) went like this:

import pylab
pylab.plot([1,2,1]) # figure pops up
pylab.gca().clear(); pylab.show() # nothing happens
pylab.gcf().clear(); pylab.show() # nothing happens
pylab.clf() # works fine

I've played with getting the current figure, storing it in a temporary
variable a, trying "a.clear()" trying any manipulations and they don't work.
It's like the figures/axes returned by gca() and gcf() no longer correspond
to the only open figure I can see.

I don't have time to figure it out (I have a paper due and I've already
thrown 3 hours at figuring out why my scripts aren't working), and I know
there's an outside chance it's all my fault. I've uninstalled everything and
I'm putting enthought on (older matplotlib). Anyway, I'm sorry if this turns
out to be my fault, but can anyone test/confirm/deny this behavior? I was
using the latest mpl 0.98.3 and python 2.5.

Thanks,
-Jack