The "useafm" option is designed to work with the 14 standard Postscript
fonts.  I suppose it's possible to use a third-party afm, but such a
thing would be extremely rare.  The closest thing to Arial in the
standard PS fonts is Helvetica.

But yes, this is a bug, only in that the error message could be better,
not that using Arial as an AFM would ever work.

As for reducing file sizes, are you already using ps.fonttype set to 3?
That will subset a TTF font, and should reduce file sizes over type 42.

Cheers,
Mike