On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Michael Droettboom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You're right: multi-column legends aren't implemented.
>
> There have been a number of points raised lately around the layout of
> legends (such as baseline alignment), that are starting to add up to a
> push for a (partial) rewrite of the legend code.  Unfortunately, I don't
> think anyone has stepped up with time available to work on it.  But I
> think this should go on the list of things to consider, assuming we can
> come up with a nice clean interface to present to the user.  It would be
> helpful to collect use cases for that.  For example, would an option
> "numcols" be enough (and the legend would just layout the text in that
> number of columns), or would you want/need more control over where
> individual elements are placed?
>
> Of course, we're always looking for new developers, and if you have the
> motivation to work on this, I'm sure the various people on this list
> would be happy to help you work through it.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

I'd be willing to put some time in on that... I've not ever
contributed code for anything though, so I'll be on a learning curve.
I've had this problem myself.  I would think a number of columns or a
number of rows argument either would work.. just restrict based on one
or the other, and if both are given... not sure about that one.
What's a sensible way to ignore one or the other?