Hi,

I'm a light matplotlib user, and generally haven't had problems the
few times I've installed it.  However, now I am.

I am building matplotlib (and a suite of python tools, including
python itself) on a big computer cluster.  I don't have root access
and that's non-negotiable.  I've compiled python and several tools,
including matplotlib.  I can do 'from pylab import *', plot things,
but I just can't get a graphics window to appear.  There are no
errors returned, but show() and draw() just do nothing.

The cluster is linux, to which I connect via an xterm on a mac os
10.3.9 machine.  I can open up x windows (like emacs, firefox, etc)
with no problem.

Any suggestions?  How can I fix, or even diagnose, this?

Thanks much,
David