I followed the thread in Sept 2007 that covers the same problem I am having,
but it seems to just end without a solution.

I have attached the setup file I am using.  When my application is packaged,
installed and I try to get my graph I get the following message.  The graph
works fine while I am working from just the python script in idle.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "WxPyETn.py", line 4070, in GetRevGraph
  File "matplotlib\__init__.pyc", line 677, in <module>
  File "matplotlib\__init__.pyc", line 598, in rc_params
  File "matplotlib\__init__.pyc", line 552, in matplotlib_fname
  File "matplotlib\__init__.pyc", line 242, in wrapper
  File "matplotlib\__init__.pyc", line 482, in _get_data_path_cached
  File "matplotlib\__init__.pyc", line 478, in _get_data_path
RuntimeError: Could not find the matplotlib data files

I really try to avoid posting and believe me, I have spent hours trying to
figure a solution, but I am just plain ignorant with this and I  feel there is
a common solution out there someplace.

Ron Adelman, CGFM
Fiscal Consultant
Dept. of Education (SouthWest District)