Hello,

I am using matplotlib in combination with QT4 as part of an audio
application I am building. Part of this involves plotting an
oscilloscope-style display (time vs intensity) for sets of raw audio data,
which I have through necessity converted to arrays of floating point data.

The problem I have is that Pylab/QT slow down an unacceptable amount once
the amount of audio is more than a few seconds long. This is not too
surprising - typically a minute of stereo audio data will have 44100 * 60 *
2 = 5292000 points. I need to deal with, at minimum, 15 minute clips
efficiently

I have tried downsampling the audio dramatically and although this helps a
little, it is not enough for really large data sets. Downsampling also
reduces the accuracy of any editing of the audio, so it's not the ideal
solution.

I've read about 'data clipping' functionality in matplotlib, but can't seem
to get it working - has it been removed?

If so, does anybody have any ideas as to the sort of approach I could take
to solve this?

Thanks
Rob