[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> There is some work going on in Sage (http://www.sagemath.org) to more
> fully use matplotlib on a higher level than is currently done.  One
> issue that is coming up is using matplotlib to make a plot with axis
> lines crossing in the center of the plot, like is shown in the plot at
> http://sagemath.org/tour-education.html
>
> Is this easy to do in matplotlib (preferably with the stock axes
> object)?  It seems that there is not an example illustrating an axes of
> this form and I couldn't find any mention in the documentation of such a
> feature.

Unfortunately, the present mpl architecture does not lend itself to this
sort of flexibility with respect to axis locations.  It has been on the
wish list for a long time, and it can be done manually, but to make it
an easy-to-use mpl option will take some surgery and reconstruction on
mpl's internals.

Eric