Either way, the problem is that matplotlib is trying to access a file
somewhere that doesn't exist (and needs to exist). Make sure you have
X11 installed on the computer (simple spotlight search should turn up
the app frontend), and then install the X11 package from Apple's Xcode
developer tools (available on the install discs for the operating
system or online from developer.apple.com in the downloads section of
the members site with a free ADC account. If you end up downloading
the tools, keep in mind that Xcode Developer Tools 2.5 are the latest
working version for OS X 10.4, and 3.1.1 is the latest working version
for 10.5 (since it's a large download). Once you're sure you have the
X11 tools installed, remove matplotlib and do a clean install.

Josh