On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:24 PM, John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Eric Bruning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Can you post a complete, free-standing example script which replicates
>>> the problem
>>
>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>> f=plt.figure()
>> ax=f.add_subplot(111)
>> ax.plot(range(10))
>> ax.text(-10, 5, 'this one is ok')
>> ax.text(-1202255993.82, 5, 'this one fails')
>> plt.show()
>>
>>> and also the output of the script run with --verbose-debug?
>> See attached.
>
> OK, thanks.  I can replicate this on one machine (on which python is
> compiled for 32bit)

And I can confirm that my Python is running as 32 bit.

> My guess is the transformation is putting this int out of bounds on
> the 32 bit system triggering an exception in the cxx code.
>
> From the exception, it looks like the exception is being set in cxx
> extension code but is not being raised at the time the exception is
> set, because there is no reason the iteration over the info should be
> triggering the exception at that time.  I fixed backend agg to raise
> the proper exception so it is at least less confusing -- it now raises
> TypeError: Invalid input arguments to draw_text_image
>
> I'm not sure what the desired behavior here is.  We could make it fail
> silently (not plot the text rather than raise)....

My preference would be to see the error rather than mysteriously not
see text. The latter would be more frustrating to debug - hard to
track down. A scientific user should probably know that he's
overextending the floating point capability, which was my case.

I would be interested to see a concise form of John [H2O]'s bug,
though - it might get more subtle if it's doing something funny on a
map projection, like plotting on the backside of a sphere.

Thanks,
Eric