running the last ipython version now (0.9.1), and it does not help (got stuck
the same way).

The difference now is that ipython provides a message:

Warning: Timeout for mainloop thread exceeded
switching to nonthreaded mode (until mainloop wakes up again)

It seems that ipython developers did catch the issue and made this message to be
delivered so that at least you can go on working with your session. However, I
cannot do anything with matplotlib after that message is given, and I have to
get out of the session and start again if I want to plot something...

This seems therefore linked to matplotlib and not ipython.. Just that now
ipython does not get stuck anymore but provide a message regarding the thread
issue. (Not very useful in this context for me unfortunately)

See the ipython scipy thread in fact :
http://lists.ipython.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2008-July/005628.html

So as far as I can tell this is a matplotlib bug and noone so far encountering
this problem has a really good idea why it occurs. Indeed the problem occurs
*only* when I launch matplotlib commands (after some time in my ipython
session).

Really annoying but as mentioned before, I cannot get a set of commands which
consistenly break the session, so...

Eric