Ryan May wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Nils Wagner
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
> wrote:
>
>     Thank you very much !
>     It would be nice to have that information in the docstring
>

> Done.
Thanks for updating the docstring.  I actually saw this as a usability
bug and have come up with a patch such that polar() (et al) will
*replace* the current axes with a polar plot if it isn't already polar.
This is (from the user's perspective) similar to how, for example, a
histogram plot would work -- that is, you don't have to tell subplot
you're about to plot a histogram.

But Ryan's new docstring is not obsolete with respect to my proposed
change.  Both techniques will work, and in fact subplot(polar=True);
polar(...) will be slightly faster since it avoids creating a linear
axes which is subsequently thrown away.

Any argument against committing my change?

>     The next inquiry is related to xticks.
>     I have added
>
>     xticks(linspace(0,2*pi,24,endpoint=False))
>
>     The difference between consecutive xticks is varying between 14
>     and 16 degrees.
>
>     For what reason ?
>

> Looks like roundoff error.   For instance:
>
> linspace(0, 2*pi, 24)[7] * 180. / pi
> 104.999999999999
>
> If you format that with '%d', it becomes 104, not 105.
>
> Is there an accepted way of doing this rounding in matplotlib that
> doesn't round in odd cases?
The polar theta tick formatter could be changed to call "round", I
guess.  Alternatively, it looks like '%0.0f' also does the right thing.
I think that's generally what people would want for polar plots.  This
change would only affect polar theta ticks, so we don't need to worry
about a change in behavior in standard Euclidean plots.

Ryan's workaround (to get around this numerically external to
matplotlib) is a good suggestion as well, but I think changing the
formatter may be less surprising...

Cheers,
Mike

--