Dear Jeff,

2008/12/8 Jeff Whitaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Mauro:  That's because the default is not really a map projection at all -
> it just displays the data in lat/lon coordinates.    The map scale really
> has no meaning in that case.

Sure, however some biological journals insist that authors provide
these scales (and in at least one case I known of, also a wind
rose!!!!) on all maps, even if when they have no meaning (as is the
case with the Equirectangular projection). Regrettably, as I mentioned
earlier, there have been no discussion of map projections -- their
meaning and significance -- among biogeographers.

With best regards,

--
Dr. Mauro J. Cavalcanti
Ecoinformatics Studio