You don't need the $.  In fact, an unescaped $ in a math expression is a
syntax error.

Admittedly, the feedback about this could be better than just "couldn't
render".  I'll look at passing more information about the exception back
to Sphinx.

Note also, you'll want a slash in front of \alpha in order to get Greek,
rather than "alpha".

Mike

--
Michael Droettboom