On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Christopher Barker
<chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:

>>  > python myfile.py -dPS
>
> same error -- why does it need to use png at all with PS?

Chris,

Thanks for all the tests.  The image module uses _png.  Even the
vector backends need raster images.  We could move the import into the
method when it is actually called, since we actually embed the images
directly into the ps and do not go via png.

>> Could you also test the mpkg zip file -- I am curious if that shows
>> the same png problems for you.
>
> same errors as the egg.
>
> Can you test on PPC?

I do have an old, clunky OSX 10.3 machine at home.  A little afraid to
go there :-(

> I recently had a problem with a wxPython extension -- it build Universal,
> but only worked on Intel. It turns out that the wxPython binaries were
> compiled differently on PPC and Intel -- using an older version of gcc on
> PPC (for 10.3 compatibility maybe?). Anyway, it was a mess, but we fixed it
> by compiling the extension separately with a bunch of different flags, then
> lipo-ing the two binaries together.
>
> Could anything funky like that be going on here?

Could be -- you can check the Makefile to get a look at the flags I am
using and let me know if you have any suggestions

http://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/matplotlib/trunk/matplotlib/release/osx/Makefile?view=markup

JDH