It seems that I just cannot grasp the way the data needs to be formatted for
this to work...
I've used the griddata sample that James posted but it takes about 10
minutes to prep the data for plotting so that solution seems to be out of
discussion.

I guess my issue is that I don't know what type of data is required by
contourf function. Also as Jeff was saying earlier, the data is read from a
grib file so supposedly it's already gridded. I've also looked at the
basemap demo
(http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/screenshots.html#basemap-demo) and
the data is read from 3 files, one for Lat one for Long and the Last for Z
Data. Is there a way to automatically extract the data from the grib file to
a format similar to the one used in the basemap example?