Hi Sandro,

It's great news that a book may come out on MPL.

Speaking as an aspiring university professor in neuroscience, I would
like to see something that could be used as a resource for undergraduate
students just learning Python and MPL. Due to this perspective, I think
such a book would cover both numpy and MPL. The emphasis could clearly
by on MPL, but basic numpy idioms and concepts should also be taught. I
think an example-driven approach would be very useful -- something like
an undergraduate laboratory experiment where students measure and plot
raw values and compute histograms and statistics (e.g. mean and std).
More advanced sections might perform statistical comparisons of
different treatments (e.g. using chi squared, KS and/or T tests), do
linear least squares fitting (with np.linalg.lstsq), and possibly
non-linear curve fitting using something like scipy.optimize.fmin.

That's my self-serving $0.02, since you asked! :)

You may also want to speak with John Hunter and Fernando Perez about the
possibility of collaborating -- they've already done some work towards a
book, too.

Andrew