> The best I've come up with so far is to
> create a figure with a set size, and then
> add axes with a specified rectangle.
> But this does not give a neat path to
> what I want.

Alan,
I think the way you're doing is the easiest way.
Anyhow, can you provide an example of a "neat path"? In my view, fixed
axes size means fixed figure size (in most cases), and I'm not quite
sure how this can be improved.

This might not be very helpful but I recently added an
"axes_divider.py" in the example directory which includes helper
classes to calculate the axes size in drawing time. And It is possible
to have the axes size fixed in inches (check demo_fixed_size_axes
function in the file) regardless of the figure size, but the method is
basically same as the one you're using.

Regards,

-JJ