Thanks for the feedback.  So strangely enough it seems to have something to
do with my installation of matplotlib or some of the other background
libraries.

I took the exact same example that I sent it and ran it on Redhat Enterprise
Linux 4 and it works just fine.  My team develops on Mac OS X & Linux, but
only deploys on Linux, so this isn't a huge problem, but it'd be nice to
have it working everywhere?

Is there any definitive set of instructions for getting matplotlib to build
and install properly on Mac OS X 10.5?  I had to install all of the
following on my Mac:

numpy
scipy
libpng
freetype
Fortran compiler (F95 I think)
pkgconfig
matplotlib
nose

Undoubtedly there's plenty of opportunity in there for me to mess something
up.  Thanks for all the feedback so far.

~Brent