Is there a summary somewhere of the current state of knowledge about
memory leaks when using the pylab interface interactively? Doing
plot(rand(1000000)) or matshow(rand(1000,1000)) for example eats a big
chunk of memory (tried with TkAgg and WxAgg in Windows (mpl v0.98.5.2)
and Linux (mpl v0.98.3)), most of which is not returned when the window
is closed. The same goes if you create an array, plot it, and explicitly
del it after closing the window. I've seen lots of posts over the years
about memory leaks, but there's nothing in the FAQ about this. I found
old posts about similar things, but nothing that had a clear resolution.

thanks,
Gary